It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.
– Marcus Aurelius
Week 08: June 18 – June 24
Last week I mentioned that I had been following The Dream Life Series by Lavendaire. It is a free email/youtube series with weekly worksheets to help you live your dream life. I quickly caught up since I started late but let me tell ya… It is eye opening.
Lesson 1: Master your mindset
The very first lesson is to master your mindset. Below are a few of Lavendaire’s tips that stuck out to me the most.
- Believe in your dreams: I didn’t really believe that I could achieve my dreams. I knew they were possible but was afraid I couldn’t achieve them let alone handle them.
- Positive Mindset: I kept thinking about all the possibilities of failure. All the ways I could fail. I didn’t think about all the success that could happen. I kept seeing the struggles in the future and didn’t pay attention to all that I have already accomplished. I have come so far and will continue too.
- Commit to your dream and be patient: I need to persist through the hard times. I’ll never know when the breakthrough will happen. Most times it happens right after the hardest struggle.
- Love and support yourself: I am my own harshest critic. I need to start loving and supporting myself rather than dwelling on all the negatives.
Lesson 2: Rediscover What You Want
Learn more about who you are and what you want. I felt like I did a pretty good job with this section earlier in the year when I re-evaluated my life so I didn’t focus too much on this topic.
Lesson 3: Clarify what you want
It is not a matter of just believing but seeing my dream as well. It defined my vision for the future and helped me paint a day in my life when I would be living “my dream”. It will be interesting to compare my results with what I wrote down in a year to three years.
Lesson 4: Release what is holding you back
This one… was HUGE. I struggle with my fears and most of them are unnecessary fears. These fears hold me back from truly taking the steps to live my dream life. Lavendaire’s worksheets were amazing. The worksheets asks you to list your fears, the worst that could happen, a solution to the issue if it did, and if you were still alive and able to live. I realized after this exercise that all of my fears were in my head. They were my very own thoughts that were bringing me down and inhibiting me from truly reaching my dream life. Now that I am more aware of my fears I try to beat them with positive affirmations every time I encounter them.
Fears are great when they save your life but unnecessary when it stops you from living your dream life. Release those fears and give it your all. Don’t be afraid of the unknown. Don’t be afraid of being vulnerable and showing the world who you truly are.
- Releasing my fears! So… on Saturday June 25th I acknowledged my fear and gave myself positive affirmations. I had an ultimatum between being comfortable but never advancing to my dream life or to plunge head first with my fear and get one step closer to my dream life. I took the plunge! There was really no reason for my fear. It is all in my head.
- Budget on food: I re-evaluated by budget and have been doing great for the past week! I’ve been trying to do $30/week (give or take an extra $10) and planning my meals for two weeks. Since making a two week meal agenda I found it so much easier to not overspend and eat out.
- Cutting morning caffeine: The last few weeks have been filled with headaches and jaw aches from clenching my teeth. I wanted to prevent myself from clenching my teeth so I decided to cut out caffeine in the morning. This was a ritual of mine every morning. It has been almost a week and I have noticed less headaches and a more relaxed jaw. I also think my clenching has gone down. Either way stress and caffeine don’t go hand in hand so no more caffeine in the morning.
- Mindfulness and cutting down stress: Clenching teeth can be associated with stress as well. I find myself to always be stressed out. Like… WAY STRESSED. So in an effort to reduce and handle stress properly I decided to be more mindful of stress while I am working out. I also try to be a mindful eater. Thinking about more positive energy rather than negative. So far, it has been working out well.
- I got my struts fixed: Now the only car maintenance needed is a transmission flush and new tires. It feels great to have your car up to date and to not have to worry about something else going wrong.
Things to work on:
- Keep an eye out on stress. Try to prevent stress, headaches, and jaw aches when possible. When I feel my mind thinking 10 different thoughts per minute I need to take a breather. Take a stress gummy and breath out the negative thoughts. Take a 5 minute walk or head to the meditation room at work. Manage stress in a healthy way.
- There are so many weekly highlights! I am so proud!
P.S. Just keep swimming.